Seminar Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change Spring 2020
An international online seminar offered by a European partnership of universities and NGOs
>>> now including Community Innovation Labs
>>> Workshops in Estonia, Romania and Jordan
>>> apply now
>>> Our next course starts on 17th of March 2020!
Get a preview of our upcoming intensive workshops:
For whom is this course?
- Are you a business or economics student who cares about social and environmental problems?
- Are you an agronomy student who wants to make agriculture more beneficial for society and the environment?
- Are you a planner, designer or artist who wants to learn how to start a business that helps solve social problems in your everyday environment?
- Or are you already a professional?
- Are you curious about other people and their knowledge and want to learn from other Europeans?
- Do you believe in your capability to create something new?
- In short, would you like to become a social entrepreneur? Then join us this semester, because everyone can become an entrepreneur!
Ellen and Jonathan explain the course concept
What is this course about?
Our programme is addressed to anyone who wishes to work in and with local communities to initiate innovation for sustainabilty. This can include social entrepreneurship. A social entrepreneur applies business tools for solving social and/or environmental problems. Success in social entrepreneurship is primarily measured by degree of social impact, not only monetary profit.
The scope of community innovations is however much larger. It also includes organisational change or new cooperation models. In some cases it can mean initiating any type of business in order to sustain local economy, for example in rural contexts.
Social innovation is essential for solving Europe’s economic, social, and environmental challenges. We need growth that is fairer, greener and anchored in local communities. A model that values social cohesion as a genuine source of collective wealth. It is urgent that students and practitioners from different disciplines learn from each other to develop entrepreneurial skills and social awareness for a sustainable, local impact.
Community Learning for Local Change is a programme offered by a 4-University Consortium in cooperation with relevant NGOs. The goal is to empower future changemakers through an interdisciplinary, problem-based learning environment that enhances the innovative competencies needed for addressing social, cultural and environmental challenges. The programme is funded by the ERASMUS* Programme in the period 2018-2021.
Our online course includes 12 live online lectures and various tutored session on the internet, as well as interdisciplinary and international group work with students from Romania, Estonia, the Netherlands, and other European countries. The online course is open to anybody interested in the subject.
The programme also offers students the possibility to receive a travel grant to attend one of two 10-day workshops in Romania or Estonia, hosted by our partners.
This is a so-called blended learning course, this means that a part of this course is done online and another part on site.
The online module consists of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work and other diverse active and passive learning tools. This is complemented by a number of highly interactive tutored sessions.
The thematic elements of the course are designed to give students core knowledge for community-based innovation:
- Identifying the local community
- Goal Setting
- Ideas Generation
- From idea to implementation (1)
Intensive Study Programmes
- Bison Hillock, Romania, from 01.-10.05.2020 organised by ASE Bucharest and the WWF Romania, funded by ERASMUS+.
- Lahemaa National Park, Estonia, from 01.-10.05.2020 organised by EMU Tartu and SEV Estonia, funded by ERASMUS+.
- MESIL workshop in the Azraq Wetland Reserve in Jordan, from 12 - 19.06.2020 organised by HfWU and the MESIL team, funded by the DAAD.
- Online lectures will take place from 17.03. – 16.06.2020, with two weekly sessions. Lecture are held on Tuesdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET.
- One weekly tutored session is scheduled individually.
- The intensive study programmes in Romania and Estonia are scheduled for May 1 - 10, 2020, the workshop in Jordan from June 12 -19, 2020.
- Check the Course Schedule for more details
- Active participants will complete four assignments both individually and in groups.
- The assignments are as follows:
- A community map (team)
- A theory of change (team)
- A case study report (individual)
- A Business Model Canvas (team)
- More details can be found on the assignments pages.
Conditions for participation and credits
Participation in this course is open to all study programs and free of charge.
Academic recognition for successful completion will be as follows with a maximum of 7 ECTS:
- up to 5 ECTS for the online seminar (active participation)
- up to 7 ECTS for those who attend both the online course and the intensive programme
- Students need to seek individually for academic recognition at their respective universities
- there is usually at least one recognition opportunity at each university of the SELC partnership
Preconditions for attending the workshops in Romania and Estonia
Successful participation in the online part is a requirement for participating in the intensive programmes in Romania and Estonia. However, participation in the workshops is limited. Each participating university can offer eight grants, covering travel and subsistence, and a limited number may participate on a self-paid basis.
There is no set limit regarding the number of participants in the online course. Any interested student, graduate or young professional is invited to attend. All participants who successfully complete the assignment will be issued a certificate on behalf of the five academic institutions involved. Passive, listen-only participation in the online course is also possible, but no certificate will be issued for this participation mode.
Registration conditions and deadlines
Registration Online Seminar
Participation in the online seminar is free and open to students at any institution as well as the general public.
Participation is possible in active or passive mode.
Active participation includes:
- registration before 10th of March 2020
- regular attendance of the online class (or working with the seminar recordings in due time)
- participation in the community innovation labs
- completion of the seminar coursework and group assignments
- academic recognition of up to 5 ECTS (+ 1 ECTS for personal reflection)
Passive participation includes:
- registration can be done any time, but preferably before the first session. Send an email to info(at)localchange.eu
- visitation of online seminar sessions either in real time or through video recordings;
- no academic recognition granted
Registration Romania and Estonia Workshops
Participation in the workshops requires personal application. Academic recognition is up to 2 ECTS. Only students enrolled at the partner universities are eligible.
Applications must include:
- A letter of intent explaining your motivation for participation in the workshop
- CV and current transcript of records
- English language certificate (if available)
- Online lectures will take place from 17.03. – 16.06.2020, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET
- Parallel group work in international teams and our community labs
Intensive Study Programmes
- Bison Hillock, Romania, from 01.-10.05.2020 organised by ASE Bucharest and the WWF Romania.
- Lahemaa National Park, Estonia, from 01.-10.05.2020 organised by EMU Tartu and SEV Estonia.