Seminar Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change Spring 2017
An international online seminar offered by a European partnership of universities and NGOs
The second online seminar was offered by the SELC Consortium from March to May 2017. This page documents the processes, assignments and outcomes of this first learning activity.
Ellen and Jonathan explain the course concept
What was this course about?
A social entrepreneur applies business tools for solving social and/or environmental problems. Success in social entrepreneurship is primarily measured by degree of social impact, not only monetary profit.
Social entrepreneurs are essential for solving Europe’s economic, social, and environmental challenges. According to the Strasbourg Declaration of 2014, “Europe’s economic and social model needs to reinvent itself. We need growth that is fairer, greener and anchored in local communities. A model that values social cohesion as a genuine source of collective wealth.”
It is urgent that students and practitioners from different disciplines across Europe learn from each other to develop entrepreneurial skills and social awareness for a sustainable, local impact.
Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change is a programme offered by a 5-University Consortium in cooperation with relevant NGOs. The goal is to empower future social entrepreneurs through an interdisciplinary, problem-based learning environment that enhances the innovative competencies needed for addressing social, cultural and environmental challenges in Europe. The programme is funded by the ERASMUS* Programme in the period 2015 - 2018.
Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change includes twelve live sessions on the internet available to the wider global community, as well as interdisciplinary and international group work with students from Romania, Estonia, the Netherlands, and other European countries. The online course is open to anybody interested in the subject.
The programme also offers students the possibility to receive a grant to attend a 10-day workshop in the Netherlands (Arnhem), hosted by VHL Larenstein from May 5 - 14, 2017.
Recordings and Resources
- All recordings from this first seminar are available as open educational resources
- They can be accessed via the ILIAS learning platform (no login required)
- Further references and learning materials are available from the Resources and Literature page
The online module consisted of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work and other diverse active and passive learning tools.
The thematic elements of the course are designed to give students core knowledge for developing their own start-ups:
- Identifying challenges and setting goals
- Designing ideas
- Designing your business model
- Revising and evaluating your model
- Online lectures habe taken place from 21.03. – 02.05.2017, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET.
- The intensive study programme in Arnhem/Netherlands was organise from May 5 - 14, 2017
- Find more details on the seminar schedule
- Read more about our process in the seminar minutes
- Active participants have completed three assignments both individually and in their international team.
- Find more details on the seminar assignments page
- Over 20 international virtual teams have worked together on the assignments.
- Their group work started off with the identification of local challenges
- Find out more about their process and outcomes on the seminar working group pages.
Intensive Study Programm Arnhem
- Read more about our 10-days workshop in the Netherlands