Seminar Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change Spring 2020
An international online seminar offered by a European partnership of universities and NGOs
>>> now including Community Innovation Labs
Our next course starts on 17th of March 2020!
For whom is this course?
- Are you a business or economics student who cares about social and environmental problems?
- Are you an agronomy student who wants to make agriculture more beneficial for society and the environment?
- Are you a planner, designer or artist who wants to learn how to start a business that helps solve social problems in your everyday environment?
- Or are you already a professional?
- Are you curious about other people and their knowledge and want to learn from other Europeans?
- Do you believe in your capability to create something new?
- In short, would you like to become a social entrepreneur? Then join us this semester, because everyone can become an entrepreneur!
Ellen and Jonathan explain the course concept
What is this course about?
A social entrepreneur applies business tools for solving social and/or environmental problems. Success in social entrepreneurship is primarily measured by degree of social impact, not only monetary profit.
Social entrepreneurs are essential for solving Europe’s economic, social, and environmental challenges. We need growth that is fairer, greener and anchored in local communities. A model that values social cohesion as a genuine source of collective wealth. It is urgent that students and practitioners from different disciplines across Europe learn from each other to develop entrepreneurial skills and social awareness for a sustainable, local impact.
Community Learning for Local Change is a programme offered by a 4-University Consortium in cooperation with relevant NGOs. The goal is to empower future changemakers through an interdisciplinary, problem-based learning environment that enhances the innovative competencies needed for addressing social, cultural and environmental challenges. The programme is funded by the ERASMUS* Programme in the period 2018-2021.
Our online course includes 12 live online lectures and various tutored session on the internet, as well as interdisciplinary and international group work with students from Romania, Estonia, the Netherlands, and other European countries. The online course is open to anybody interested in the subject.
The programme also offers students the possibility to receive a travel grant to attend one of two 10-day workshops in Romania or Estonia, hosted by our partners.
The online module consists of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work and other diverse active and passive learning tools. This is complemented by a number of highly interactive tutored sessions.
The thematic elements of the course are designed to give students core knowledge for developing their own start-ups:
- Identifying challenges and setting goals
- Designing ideas
- Designing your business model
- Revising and evaluating your model
- Online lectures will take place from 19.03. – 16.06.2019, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET.
- The intensive study programmes in Romania are scheduled for May 5 - 14, 2019
- Check the Course Schedule for more details
- Active participants will complete three assignments both individually and in groups.
- The assignments are as follows:
- Identify and analyse a local challenge
- Field research on social entrepreneurship cases
- A business plan for a social enterprise
- More details can be found on the assignments pages.
Conditions for participation and credits
Participation in this course is open to all study programs and free of charge.
Academic recognition for successful completion will be as follows with a maximum of 7 ECTS:
- up to 5 ECTS for the online seminar (active participation)
- up to 7 ECTS for those who attend both the online course and the intensive programme
- Students need to seek individually for academic recognition at their respective universities
- there is usually at least one recognition opportunity at each university of the SELC partnership
Preconditions for attending the workshops in Romania
Successful participation in the online part is a requirement for participating in the intensive programmes in Romania (RO). However, participation in the workshops is limited. Each participating university can offer eight grants, covering travel and subsistence, and a limited number may participate on a self-paid basis.
There is no set limit regarding the number of participants in the online course. Any interested student, graduate or young professional is invited to attend. All participants who successfully complete the assignment will be issued a certificate on behalf of the five academic institutions involved. Passive, listen-only participation in the online course is also possible, but no certificate will be issued for this participation mode.
Registration conditions and deadlines
Registration Online Seminar
Participation in the online seminar is free and open to students at any institution as well as the general public.
Participation is possible in active or passive mode.
Active participation includes:
- registration before 10th of March 2019
- regular attendance of the online class (or working with the seminar recordings in due time)
- participation in the community innovation labs
- completion of the seminar coursework and group assignments
- academic recognition of up to 5 ECTS (+ 1 ECTS for personal reflection)
Passive participation includes:
- registration can be done any time, but preferably before the first session. Send an email to info(at)localchange.eu
- visitation of online seminar sessions either in real time or through video recordings;
- no academic recognition granted
Registration Romania Workshops
Participation in the Romania Workshops requires personal application. Academic recognition is up to 2 ECTS. Only students enrolled at the partner universities are eligible.
Applications must include:
- A letter of intent explaining your motivation for participation in the workshop
- CV and current transcript of records
- English language certificate (if available)
- Online lectures will take place from 19.03. – 16.06.2019, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET
- Parallel group work in international teams and our community labs
- 05.-14.05.2019 organised by ASE Bucharest, Atelier Merci and the WWF Romania.