Assignment 1 – Find your local challenge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
--> back to assignments overview
- Identify your challenge: Week 1 (until 04.04.2016)
- Group reflection time: Weeks 2 -3 (05. – 17.04.2016)
- Present your findings: Week 4, 19.04.2016, 16 00 – 17 30 CET
- Social, economic and environmental problems appear everywhere in our everyday environment. It is our local landscape where we as individuals are directly confronted with these problems – and also able to react.
- At the very beginning of the seminar you are invited to reflect on your local context and its specific challenges. Try to select a topic that really matters to you because you are going to work on it further during the seminar. The challenge identified will also be a criterion for defining the seminar working groups as we intend to (ideally) group students from different countries, different disciplines and similar interests.
- Your first step will be to prepare a graphical representation of your challenge and to upload it on the seminar wiki. On this basis, the groups will be formed and your page will be moved to a team page.
- In the further, your group will analyze the background of the challenge identified. What are important cause-effect relationships? Who are the actors? Who is disadvantaged? What are the wider consequences? You will further reflect on the differences and similarities observed in the different countries.
- Your findings will be visualized with concept maps or other visual tools and presented to the plenary.
Submission format and presentation
- graphical representation of your challenge in JPG format
- upload to the seminar wiki by simple file upload until 4th of April 2016,
- use this file name: firstname_lastname_challenge.jpg
- You may use any combination of graphics, text, images for representing your challenge. The end product should be one jpg file for upload on the wiki
- One possibility is to use a powerpoint slide as a basis for representing your challenge. Go to 'save as' and save your PPT slide as a jpg
- we will form the working group based on the proximity of challenges addressed, further criteria will be international and interdisciplinary composition of the groups
- based on your individual work you will reflect in your group about the wider context of your challenge (cause-effect relationships, similarities and differences of local conditions)
- You can prepare this as a concept map and/ or any other visual thinking output
- Each group prepares a 5 slides presentation until 18th of April 2016 based on this template
- Group presentation: 19th of April 2016, 16 00 - 17 30 CET
- For the further analysis of cause effect relationships we recommend concept mapping software. Some practical open source softwar is Cmaps and VUE:
- Timely submission of required documents
- Depth and logic of analysis (i.e. integrating multiple viewpoints and value schemes)
- Visual quality of representation (readability, clarity, creative expression)
- Quality of oral presentation (i.e. keeping time limits, clarity, expression)